2021 Bookings - How to Handle (COVID-19)?

Hello all:

I’m curious about how you are handling booking requests / inquiries for 2021 given the continued uncertainty around COVID-19.

Our jurisdiction just recently tightened up regulations on the maximum gathering size to 25 people (outdoor) and 10 (indoor). I anticipate that this is likely to last through the winter and may well tighten up further before regulations are loosened again.

I have not gotten clear recommendations from Peerspace support as to how to handle this continued uncertainty. They just refer to the COVID-19 policy that hasn’t been updated since March.

We can:

a) Book events under today’s restrictions, with the understanding that they will more or less restrictive later

b) Book the guest count they want, with the understanding that the maximum gathering size in effect on the date of their event under local regulations applies, even if lower

c) Not book 2021 events at all until it is more clear

We have the 90 day cancellation policy selected for our spaces. I know that the guest and host can agree to a full refund, which may or may not be granted by Peerspace support. But the guest and host do not always reach agreement. We do not want to be stuck either hosting an unsafe / illegal event OR being penalized by Peerspace for an unexcused host-initiated cancellation.

How are other hosts approaching 2021 events? If I were booking events using our own internal contracting procedures, I would feel far more in control than I do with Peerspace bookings.

Thanks,

Brian

1 Like

This is one of the best questions asked to date!
The good news is that COVID 19 is now treated as a known risk with Peerspace and each guest, upon accepting the platform terms, is booking at their own risk.

If there’s a cancellation due to COVID, the client will be refunded as per your listing’s cancellation policy, with no special considerations

Thanks for the reply. When you say that they are booking at their own risk, do you mean in terms of becoming infected with COVID-19, financial loss if we are forced to cancel their event, or both?

And can we still be penalized as a host? Would such a cancellation ever not be excused?

Both actually! I had a guest cancell claiming COVID reasons and still got a full payout.

The Peerspace policies are actually nice in that it limits our liability and creates a layer of obfuscation for hosts.

I’m requiring a contingency game plan for anything more than 30 days out and clearly explain that we abide by restrictions and regulations as they evolve and they are booking future dates at their own risk (i.e. our cancelation policy applies unless the POC of GOH have tested positive). I’ll also refund if they have been directly exposed but I don’t divulge that caveat ahead of time since it’s harder to require proof of.

Thanks, Jennifer. Are you booking 2021 events based on current restrictions set by your jurisdiction regarding maximum event size – or assuming that you’ll be able to host larger events by then?

If you later have to cancel a 2021 event due to COVID-19, are you assuming that you’d be able to do so as an excused Host cancellation? I’m concerned about putting us in a situation where we legally have to cancel, but the guest doesn’t want to.

Apologies for the delayed response. Until recently, I maintained my max occupancy at our true max of 25 and stated in the description that we are complying with the local limitations of 10 indoor and 15 outdoor, weather allowing, through winter. I.e. I’d book a June wedding for 25 but clearly communicate that, while we hope and expect to be able to host that number of guests come summer, if gathering limits have not been lifted, the renter will need to either reduce the number of guests, reschedule for a later date, or cancel their reservation. We arrange a time frame in which to revisit things a little over month out. And it’s all in the service contract I have my guests sign. I kept getting inquiries for 2020 holiday reservations of 25, though, so I shifted this down to 15 just to stop wasting my time through the holidays having to decline people who refuse to actually read the listing.