Does Anybody Want to Talk About the V-Word?

This week, here in Oakland CA my new inquiries are at their lowest since August. From 2-3 a day to zero. For some strange reason, people seem to be avoiding large gatherings these days…

Probably Coronavirus fears. We’ve noticed a drop in meetings in SF and Palo Alto as well.

Just received the following email:

"We are all following the news on the Corona Virus… and starting to worry. The latest predictions say that we will see the peak in the US in late March & early April. My bday party is planned for 3/28- which I specifically chose because it would be AFTER flu season. :tired_face:

"I’m considering postponing the party- until May. Everyone I know is avoiding travel and parties… and I feel like nobody would want to come. :frowning:

“How would that work if I needed to do postpone?”

Wishing everyone good health in their lives and business!

We’ve had 7 cancellations and the fear mongering is getting worse. I’ve been able to hang on to a couple bookings by chatting with the client about our cleaning procedures and our HVAC system that is our own and not shared within our building with other tenants. BUT, the tech conferences that are cancelling left, right and center, our killing the “off-site” business that we would have been booked for. So far, it is a loss to date of $10K+

I’m concerned around having groups of people in my apartment. I have a production this Wednesday for 18 people, and plan on disinfecting all counter, light switches, knobs, handles, bathrooms, etc., but there may come a point where I don’t feel comfortable having large groups in my apt. Curious how others are thinking.

Hi all,

As you have likely heard, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is currently responding to an outbreak of coronavirus 2019. The virus has been named “SARS-CoV-2” and the disease it causes has been named “coronavirus disease 2019” (abbreviated “COVID-19”). Outbreaks of viral infections are always of public health concern, and this is no different for us here at Peerspace.

During the week of February 23, the CDC reported community spread of the virus that causes COVID-19 in California, Oregon, and Washington and the situation is rapidly evolving. As a result, we may see an increase in Peerspace cancellations related to coronavirus.

Peerspace is committed to accommodating our community as much as possible in accordance with our Cancellation & Refund Policy and will handle cancellation requests due to coronavirus in the following manner:

• If a jurisdiction has officially declared a state of emergency, we will offer a rescheduling (and waive all cancellation fees) for any date within six months of the original booking start time, pending host confirmation of the new date.
  • Any location that is impacted by a Level 2 or 3 Alert from the CDC (for COVID-19) will be treated as an excused cancellation under the Cancellation & Refund policy, with a full refund issued to the guest.

We encourage hosts who receive booking updates and/or cancellation requests from guests due to COVID-19 outside of Level 2 & 3 CDC affected areas to be as accommodating as possible. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and have attached some informational links below. Additionally, please be aware that due to the evolving nature of this issue, our policy regarding cancellations is subject to change.

The Peerspace Customer Experience team has plans in place to maintain operations under normal business hours and regular platform uptime. We will respond to Support inquiries according to urgency and the order in which they are received. The team can be reached 6:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. PST, seven days a week. Please email us if you have any questions.

General Information: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Travel Notices: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices

2 Likes

I hate that for you Ayesha. It seems conferences, with a collection of strangers, may be harder hit than private/personal events like parties with friends and family, although they will be wary as well. We will see what unfolds over the coming weeks.

I appreciate your point about stressing your cleaning procedures, and having an independent HVAC system, which we have as well. Would love to hear any thoughts from hosts about how to create the safest/cleanest space we can, and how to market that to our potential guests.

Hey William, I want to make sure I understand clearly what PS’s current policy related to COVID-19.

My venue is located in the City of Santa Monica, CA. The state of California just declared a state of emergency (but is not CDC L2 or L3) what happens In these two scenarios:

1. Guest contacts us the day before their booking date to cancel.

2. Guest contacts is the day before the booking date to reschedule for a future date that is not available at our venue.

Thanks so much!

@peerspace-team just updated my question above to reflect the state of emergency. Could you please provide guidance?

Thanks!

Hi Graham,

As referenced above, if a jurisdiction has officially declared a state of emergency (like CA) and a guest would like to cancel due to coronavirus, we will offer a rescheduling (and waive all cancellation fees) for any date within six months of the original booking start time.

If the initial proposed future date is unavailable, we encourage the two parties to come up with a new date. We intentionally created a large window of time to be able to accommodate the need for rescheduling.

Please understand the situation is rapidly evolving and subject to change.

Any further questions or concerns can be directed to the CX team at help@peerspace.com.

We are hearing word on the street about Tour cancellations, Festivals being cancelled. The Coronavirus is here, it is spreading and it’s going to be a problem. We only had one cancellation on our airbnb platform so far but that got our attention. The trade off is that domestic tourism is going to benefit to some degree, people will stay in the states. The international tourism is a dead duck for a long time to come.

I’ll just email help@peerspace.com to get more specific guidance.

First coronavirus cases reported in DC this weekend, and first event cancellation came through today. :worried:

Two cancellation requests for March and April, one for a 70th birthday/art show, the other for a 90th birthday celebration, both with people traveling to be here. Both say they will reschedule when things get back to normal.

I have a third inquiry about canceling at the end of March, assuming they will cancel as well.

Stay safe out there!

Since mid February I’ve had the fewest inquires I’ve ever had for corporate meetings. Had a few more than usual for events. Only one current booking which is least ever in 3 years. I did have the busiest January and February In 2020 of any, ever…

If didn’t know better I’d say meeting inquires are pretty much tracking the stock market which is in turn tracking the spread of virus.

Let’s hope the COVID-19 incidence curve flattens fast and we all can stay well and get back to business when the crisis improves. And most importantly I hope that everyone stays healthy.

3 Likes

Eric Shoup, CEO of peerspace, sent an email with a link to The SBA FEMA disaster loan form. I clicked. The form requires my social security number. Not only is it unwise to be sending your SSN to an unsecured website, but according to the privacy act of 1974, illegal for the SBA to require it. Now what?

§ 552a note ( Disclosure of Social Security Number ) provides that: “It shall be unlawful for any Federal, State or local government agency to deny to any individual any right, benefit, or privilege provided by law because of such individual’s refusal to disclose his social security account number .” Sec.