Lowering Rates for Community Organizations

One of my spaces is in a community affected by both blight and gentrification. A local organization booked the space last week and I heavily discounted their rate. I received a message from Peerspace with language indicating I am not permitted to lower the rates substantially for non profits.

Seems like a bit of a quagmire since going off platform can get me booted. I’m wondering if anyone has had challenges lowering the rate for community orgs?
We’re several hundred bookings in with the platform and it’s the first time we’ve lowered the rate for anyone.

2 Likes

You can give a custom rate to anyone. I do it for non-profits as well. Maybe in interest of inclusivity you cant have 2 diff rates.?

2 Likes

Hello…It’s tricky when you feel the need to lower your prices for non-profits. You are getting way more bookings than me but what I would do is have them the (booker) update their request reflecting the price you offer. Or, you might wanna create a separate listing for non-profits. Hope this helps.

1 Like

That’s crazy. I negotiate lower rates for various reasons all the time. Without giving away numbers, can you share by what percentage you lowered your rates? I generally give 25% off and then throw in things that I later up sell people on (tables, chairs, decoration items, etc). These are all things that I own so it’s not an out of pocket expense to give them away.

1 Like

Hi @Archie_R! Thanks for the feedback. I thought simply lowering the request and detailing the circumstances would suffice…it didn’t in this case.
A separate listing is a great suggestion. I don’t do many of these community events but would love to in the future.

It was significantly lower. In the 75% range. It was a one time thing for a needy group. I’ve had bookings before and after that are at the normal rate so I didn’t think this one time would hurt.
Throwing things in later on is a great idea @Geoffrey_B! Thanks for that.

Hi @Cristina_E! Glad to know you do it too. I think it’s fair to give a break to those in need. That’s what its all about.