Everyone is asking to stay overnight!

I don’t know what recently happened but I got several people in a row that suddenly want their guests to be able to stay overnight, or rent out the place for several days. Anyone else getting this too? I think they’re confusing my listing with AirBnB. They even assumed I wouldn’t be present!

2 Likes

Ha! I’ve gotten that a few times.

Especially when they think that I won’t be present. The last time it happened, I looked my guest in the eyes and said “It’s a little strange to want privacy from the homeowner while IN the homeowner’s home. If this was your home, would you hand your keys complete strangers, walk away and hope for the best?”

They ended up agreeing with me, haha! :smiley:

Sounds like you’re doing things right!

5 Likes

It’s happened to me and in waves. When I was on Airbnb, they wanted to book photo shoots, I’d tell them that’s not what Airbnb is for and to book thru Peerspace. I’ve had people on Peerspace want to book to have a weekend escape. None of the people ever booked the proper way, they were obviously trying to “save” money.

1 Like

It happened again right now!

What the *** is going on, just this year, and just the latest inquiries. Everyone wants to stay overnight with their friends! And barely pay anything extra. One family wanted a whole week and even wanted the whole house to themselves for a huge party.

What is going on with this sudden overnight trend? I’m going insane here. There has to be an explanation.

Mmmmmmm I would be careful about overnight you would be crossing over to a different kind of service.

Are the over night provisions in the Peerspace agreement?

Our building closes at 12 am. If people request to stay any hours past midnight we require them to pay an additional $50 fee for each additional hour, plus our standard hourly rate.

My property is a row home that is also listed on Airbnb and can easily accommodate overnight stays. I’ve booked a few weddings through Peerspace where the bride and groom have guests coming into town and like the idea of being able to stay at the same venue. I offer the option of full liability coverage by booking the overnight portion through Airbnb OR signing a waiver to release us, the house/business, and property owners from any liability if they want to save money on transient lodging taxes by booking the entire thing through Peerspace (you can adjust the hours pretty easily in the “Custom Offer” screen) and am very clear with the renter in communicating expectations. I also don’t allow events where I or one of my colleagues is not present so I’m able to gauge things a little better, identify any red flags, and ensure that all extra guests (anyone not authorized to stay the night or in excess of our lodging occupancy max) has left the premises at the end of the hourly rental period through Peerspace. Thus far, I have only had to remind one guest to keep their volume down after hours due to our proximity to neighbors.

Vet your renters. Set clear expectations. Plan for the worst.