Help! Were on day 2 of a shoot and they team has a huge footprint, they have stuff everywhere overnight. Today a fire breaks out a few cites away and they want to pack up and reschedule next week and not pay for anything today? Mind you if they do they have been on site today for 2 hours plus it would take hours to pack up. Also mind you, its not smokey by our house, there is no evacuation s or immediate threat, the power is on. They just do to want to get sued by their employees…I believe. All the shots are interior. What would you advise, Peerspace not answering thier line …ever. Does the fee we pay for as a guest of host cover events like this?
If they cancel, then it’s on them (from a legal standpoint). I personally think that it’s ethically fine to keep the payment as well.
The problem is that they’ll likely leave you a negative review.
Times were, I would say that Peerspace would definitely remove the review if it was unfair, but I can’t be 100% sure.
But ultimately, it all boils down to how important that review is.
Another angle would be to tell your guests that their insurance should cover them for today (that is a big question mark as I can’t be 100% sure if insurance would cover cancellation due to fire, which may be an ‘act of God’), but I would personally (if this were me) tell them that if they decide to cancel, they would still have to pay.
Insurance is a very important to mention to your guest as @Deacon_T suggested.
I would also ask Peerspace what they think the best practice is.
They owe you for today, no question, no discussion.
Gosh that is awful. I would say no question that you have every right to keep the shoot fee. They might claim “force majeure” but the fire is far away. Based on my past similar experiences, I would say that PeerSpace will likely back you up. It’s very hard to decide what to do when you don’t know how PeerSpace will rule. Wish PeerSpace had a 24 x 7 emergency number. Just to provide clarity on PeerSpace rules. As always, the review becomes an issue.
I think most pro productions understand they pay for today and can rebook for another day and pay an additional fee. Just tell them you are happy to rebook another day for them. Just send the request to you and you’ll accept it. I am sure they will understand it’s their decision to postpone the shoot until next week. I don’t think you should worry. Keep it simple and friendly and you should still get a positive review.
Thanks Deacon and everyone with your replies. Out of kindness I did offer to reimburse them for hours they didnt use. They wrapped 3 hours in with perfectly blue skies, now I’m a little annoyed with myself that I allowed that because they immediately requested their refund and now says they are not sure about rebooking Which I loose money again, but actually prefer not to deal with them. Lesson learned ; [
Sometimes not taking a booking is better another booking might come in with additional hours.