Pricing for different types of Production bookings

How does your price structure change based on the type of shoot you’re hosting? And what is your general negotiation strategy with guests?

Rates vary on size and scope of event. I’ve learned to listen, be flexible. If they want to negotiate rate, I always ask guests to start with a number first.

I have a separate listing for events, productions and offsite meetings. The production price point will vary depending hours, use of props, etc. I have it outlined in the listing but of course, outliers arise. I will up the price depending on scope but the baseline rate is my starting point. I generally don’t negotiate on price unless there is a multi day request.

2 Likes

We list as many things as we can think of in our listing (as far as ups and extras). One of the obvious ones is crew size. We go up after a crew of 15 and may go higher depending on size (50 is about our max). Also, don’t forget overtime. A lot of hosts let it slide, but we’ve had bookings where the final overtime exceeded the original booking fees, so stay aware of the clock. Other than that, use your best judgement as to ups and extras and when something seems more common than you thought, just add it to your listing. If it’s in writing, people generally can’t complain.

1 Like

I’ve been hosting photoshoots, film shoots, and productions for over a dozen years. Before Peerspace, I worked with dozens of location scouts and producers for booking out my Brooklyn loft. I’ve had Marc Jacobs, Bloomingdales, AT&T, Urban Outfitters, as well as smaller print editorial work (which does not pay as much as Advertising). When i set up my Peerspace profile, i made a note at the bottom of the listing that advertising jobs would be charged a higher rate. The listed rate is the base rate and more for artists, IG influencers, students, etc.

3 Likes

I have different prices for photo and video shoots. I have to explain to the inquirer when they contact me that video is more expensive. I regret that it cannot be already set up in the profile. Off site production that usually involves more people is priced higher on the off site profile

1 Like

I don’t discriminate, whether it’s for a fortune five hundred company booking a shoot at my apartment or a small scale short film shoot. Ironically, the film students have significantly larger production value than the larger corporations. I will typically give the film student a discount though, 10-15%.

3 Likes

We love Peerspace, but I will say I have had to play psychic/detective at times to try to learn about what the shoot is for. Often they dont want to reveal off the bat that it’s for Google, Starbucks or a large cooperation. It gets a bit uncomfortable to then try to increase the rate. We have felt we have undercharged big companies in the past, but by adding tiered pricing based on head count…it usually alleveates that probem. More people means they pay more and those type of shoots always bring in more crew.

2 Likes

Great idea, I think I will offer tiered pricing based on the amount of people as well.

Based on headcount, hours booked and number of days needed, we change our pricing structure.

1 Like

It is a balancing act for me, since they usually want more hours than a normal event will require, and almost always have a budget or at least try to get a break somehow. I am flexible with them, but there is always a comfortable number that I have in my head that I need to stay around to make it worthwhile for a booking.

1 Like

Rates must vary IF the productions in your space vary. So a lot of equipment may be a different rental than two people and a single cam. Typically we keep this as our base rate and simply discuss a higher rental when there is a lot of production involved. For us, number of people is also a factor. I think most professionals understand this coming in, so the conversation is pretty easy when you’re transparent about the differences.

5 Likes

We charge everyone the same rate. People like that.

1 Like

I like the idea of having different pricing for larger groups. We charge more for weekend rentals and have this listed on our profile. It would be nice if PeerSpace can include a way of calculating these various charges online when the booking is made. It is always a bit uncomfortable always asking clients for more money than they were initially quoted, and then having to email PeerSpace to effectuate the change. I have brought this up with PeerSpace and their reply is that they are working on it, but it is not their first priority. Their first priority is to improve the “front end” platform to improve the clients experience and help get more clients renting, which is understandable.

1 Like