Need advice. Damage to my property and overtime charges

Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I had a guest cause oil damage to a table, walkway and driveway. I’ve tried to remove the oil but it is set it. It seems they used some sort of oil for cooking in their food. The stains are very unsightly and there is a trail of it up our walkway and driveway. I have video footage of the guest dragging a bag of oil from the table all the way down the driveway to the trash can.here were also overtime charges of $500 as well that the guest has not paid for. I did not leave a feedback for the guest as I was hoping to resolve this and contacted Peespace. By the time Peerspace told me I can charge overtime through the feedabck system, it was too late and past the 72 hours. I don’t understand why overtime charges can’t be done on the booking itself and only through an email link. I do need to charge for the overtime and also for the damages. I’d appreciate any advice. Should I file and insurance claim with Peerspace?

Unfortunately, it’s my understanding that PeerSpace’s insurance ONLY covers damages to a guest’s belongings, and does NOT include host’s property or belongings. Crappy deal for us hosts. You will need to ask Peerspace to help get these funds from the guest directly, or you will be left footing the bill yourself (or thru your own insurance). Many hosts on this forum recommend getting a COI from their guests, or a $500 cash deposit for any large events. At least to make sure you can have your deductible covered (depending on your deductible of course).

Brother, can I help out with getting rid of the stains?

By now they’ve set in for a little bit, so putting cat litter alone probably isn’t going to do enough.

Can you try some boiling hot water with Dawn dishsoap and some fresh lemon juice? Pour it on and scrub it a little bit and then after a few minutes, pour kitty little on it (use the kind that looks like sand; the smaller the granules, the better it might absorb.

I’m hoping that the hot water, the dish soap and the acids from the lemon juice might loosen the grease up just enough to allow the little to work.

What side of town you on?

1 Like

You may be out of luck with the overtime. If you don’t jump on it right away, you can miss the 72 hour window. It wold be nice if Peerspace integrated the booking and OT system, but their development efforts are focused elsewhere.

As for damages, did you not collect a security deposit or credit card info? I require people either give me $500 cash or fill out a credit card authorization form prior to loading in. If there are any damages, I charge them right there on the spot before they load out.

Agree with all.

I require a COI and $500 security deposit too. I wish Peerspace would hold the deposits for hosts on the guests credit card, would make it easier for us.

I report OT as quickly as I can, good habit to get into it.

Good luck!

1 Like

oh… yeah… I also require a COI for all productions regardless of how they book my space.

Does anybody have a good source for COIs, or do you leave it up to the guests?

I had someone scratch my floor the length of the room. I went through the Peerspace damages channels; which culminated in using an arbitration firm called FairClaims. I meticulously compiled my evidence, and “won” my case. The guest never paid, and when I tried to follow the steps FairClaims laid out, lawyers either laughed at me or were totally puzzled/ignorant/dismissive of the process in GA.

I never did get the floor fixed. I’ll probably file a claim with my insurance. They said they may go after the guest on their own, and possibly even recoup the deductible for me. It was just a huge waste of time for me.

It would be nice if Peerspace could integrate some better host protections into their platform.

Ditto on the overtime recommendations. The first thing I do is add that after an event.

During the inquiry phase, I send this:
“Please be advised that bookings are for “in the door to out the door”. Therefore, you would need to include setup and breakdown as part of your booked time.”

When I send them their event instructions, I include:
“Please remember that your booking is for “in the door to out the door”. Any time in the facility exceeding the time you have booked, will be charged as overtime, at the regular rate.”