Adding a cleaning fee - Peerspace asking for 3rd party invoice

This is my second time adding an extra cleaning fee, the first incident Peerspace were great and responsive and accepted the extra charges based off of our photo/video evidence.

This time, we had a group of guests not return our studio space back to its original position, a clearly stated rule in our listing. Just a lot of our props/equipment and set pieces all over the place. They were very aware we had a tight turnaround but still stayed an extra 11mins clearing their belongings (which we did not charge as overtime because we’re too nice sometimes). They also spilled a full cup of coffee on one of our backdrops (made of denim) and did not notify us, which we discovered just after they had left. We had to cut out the stained section and replace before the next booking.

I added an extra cleaning fee for $50 and sent photos to Peerspace BUT they are now asking for a third party invoice as proof. I understand that for damages that seems reasonable but how can I send a third party invoice for us cleaning and organizing our own space? They said to send them receipts of the cleaning products.
I mean we have an entire cupboard of cleaning products that we’ve stocked up over the last 6 months I don’t understand how i’m supposed to break down each item/spray/wipe/vacuum etc that we used while cleaning that day?

How have other hosts handled extra cleaning charges that didn’t require third party cleaners?

What there should be is a stipend for the cleaning labor and a prorated amount for supplies as well. Perhaps $40/hr?

hosts don’t want it to seem like their time isn’t valued!

I had someone spill a red liquid (not sure if it was makeup powder or a drink) on a $250 cowskin rug last night.

I sprayed vinegar on it and then used a hot soapy rag to buff the stain out. It was like brand new thank God, but maybe that will help in the future?

Otherwise, I also have carpet cleaners and a steam cleaner!

We had to cut that spill out of the denim because of how the backdrop is made. Which is fine and we dealt with it immediately. But I’m confused as to why peerspace won’t accept cleaning charges for this (and mostly for the condition in which the studio was left in) without a 3rd party invoice.
Our rules clearly state how the studio needs to be left and they broke the rules. I have video proof, so i’m not sure what Peerspace is denying!

I’m confused because this didn’t happen to us the last time.

I too have had cases where I had to make a repair and was asked for invoices. More than once have I had damage to a wall where I had to patch it at midnight, then come in very early to sand and paint before an early booking.

I appreciate that Peerspace wants proof/documentation, but would appreciate more support as a host. When I have to deal with a significant inconvenience, and ask for reasonable compensation, it is offputting to just get a response asking for a receipt.

Perhaps better would be “hey thanks for being an awesome host and quickly making repairs before future bookings.” My guests have not contested the charges so I have been paid, so it has worked out.

1 Like

I too have a “studio resetting fee” for people who leave stuff out. I have 3 living room sets and renters often move things around without returning them. I don’t expect it to be exact, but I do expect things to be put back in the same neighborhood as where they were found.

For this, and for what you described happened to your backdrop, I just take it out of their security deposit or charge the card they left on file as security.

One suggestion… unless you’re banking on getting that $50 from time to time for resetting, I would suggest upping it. I have a lot of productions that wouldn’t think twice about leaving with a $50 penalty. I charge (up to) $250 for resetting. This really gets people’s attention and its a great negotiating rate. I often agree to lower it to $150 or $100 as a gesture of compromise.

2 Likes

I have a cleaning fee that gets added to the bookings, I have many spaces so they range from $100-$250. I also have their insurance and I hold a $500 security deposit/day (I wish Peerspace would hold on guest’s credit card of course) and I’ve had to use that security deposit (or part of it) 3x so far for minor damages like these.

1 Like

@Smac_M I think they ask because they require the paperwork to provide to their merchant services if the client refuses the charge.
Ask your handyman or cleaning company to assist with an invoice that you can pass to Peerspace. Don’t forget about the 3 day policy.

I let them know there is a $500 fee they clean up 80% of the time.

1 Like

Sounds to me like the guests are giving push back. They want “proof” I would pull the cost for the denim backdrop and show what the cost would be to replace the whole thing. Then they would realize they are getting off easy.

Peerspace haven’t submitted the charge to the guests yet, they’re asking for this invoice up front. I’ve requested they submit based off the video evidence and costs of personal labour time.

We don’t advertise a specific set rate for additional cleaning/re-setting fee as it’s dependent on each guest and what mess or damage they cause. We do say in our rules that charges will apply for extra cleaning.

For this case we decided a $50 charge was appropriate.

We haven’t yet had to fix any major damage to our space but absolutely will be doing the work ourselves, like you have, if that situation happens. And we have all of the materials at-hand so the costs will purely be based off of labour time and inconvenience. I doubt the guests will contest these charges but it is strange that Peerspace have not been consistent with how they handle this. The previous time there was absolutely no issue with having additional charges!

We don’t have a handyman or professional cleaning service. We built the studio ourselves and fix our sets ourselves. This extra charge was because they broke our rules of not returning the studio in the condition it was pre-set. There’s no possible receipt to show us re-setting and cleaning our studio but the video and photo evidence was enough the first time we added additional charges and that’s why we’re confused as to why it’s not the same this time around.

We’re now considering adding a mandatory cleaning fee. We definitely prefer to only add that for the guests that deserve it though! Which is how we’ve run business thus far and it’s been great!

1 Like

I wouldn’t hesitate including a cleaning fee. As people have mentioned, it is really a prep/setup/clean-before-and-after fee. Just keep it reasonable. It helps to compensate for your time, and especially helps it to be more worthwhile to allow shorter bookings.

Imagine if you had to pay someone to do those things, no reason you should be paid less. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

This has been extremely frustrating. We had a $60 vase broken, we purchased it a year ago as props on set. The guest broke it and hide it in the trash. I don’t have a receipt from 12 months ago to prove the cost. I owe, operate, and clean my space myself self and now I feel like I have to punish other people who book and follow the rules because of a few bad apples. It’s that or we are just going to stop having to use peerspace.

ugh that’s annoying! Honestly when guests were upfront about mishaps we’d let them slide majority of the time but anyone who deliberately avoids mentioning it makes us want to pursue the extra charges.

Was peerspace helpful in resolving your vase issue? Our studio has a lot of self-made sets and vintage props/pieces that took lots of personal labor and time to collect so it’s impossible to replace with exact replica’s. I’m waiting to hear back from PS support about how to go about this in the future and how to prove a cost for something that isn’t available for retail purchase.

We’re still fairly new to PS but i was completely under the impression that if a guests damaged something they would be charged for it (or atlas PS would submit the extra charge). Especially with video evidence.

Has anyone had issues UNABLE to collect for damages even when HAVING 3rd party invoices?

Many times we outsource to be ABLE to collect from Peerspace and the guest who has damaged a prop or the studio.

But lately we have been having issues, even when we PROVIDE everything, 3rd party vendor invoices, pictures of damage, and security camera footage, and we get that Peerspace is unable to collect?

We just had one where the client is apparently “unresponsive” and we have yet to hear clear direction for collection of damages purposes, and another one where we were sent to Arbitration.

If anyone can share so we can figure out the best way to go about it, we would appreciate it.

Thank you~!

1 Like

I hope this is not always the case moving forward! It’s ridiculous that proven damage and justifiable extra charges with sufficient evidence are somewhat not valid or enough now to Peerspace.

We have asked customer support, very specifically, what is the best way to handle this in the future. In the case of guests mishandling/damaging items and breaking host rules, how can we assure charges are accepted via Peerspace. We explained to them that the majority of our studio is made up of vintage items and self-made-art set designs that don’t have a receipt for their finished value. We’ve asked them what is the best way to provide the value and costs for each item.
They haven’t responded yet but i’m curious what specifics they can advise to us hosts to avoid getting duped anytime something is damaged.

Ana, in the cases where Peerspace were UNABLE to collect extra charges, were you in contact at all with the guests? I’m wondering if the guests were contesting and on what grounds, or if they communicated that with you directly at all!

Does anyone know if there a time frame limit for when guests do not respond that they are then charged anyway - like Overtime charges not acknowledged within 72hrs are charged automatically if i’m not mistaken. Because otherwise wouldn’t every single guest just never respond if that’s how easy it is to avoid paying for things they’ve broken!

Hi Smac_M,

Thank you for getting back. For the really bad cases where the clients just disregard our host rules (have more people than originally stated, are smoking, drinking, have open flame, etc. that we prohibit and we do not allow), we no longer contact the clients after the booking.

We used to in the past, and all it did was to create higher animosity and conversations that didn’t go anywhere.

Now, we just submit the overages via Peerspace as we know that these clients are not going to be reasonable. (Granted most other clients are reasonable and do pay without going through great lengths once they are presented with the damages, the evidence, and the charges). I am talking about the ones who already know what things are and are not allowed, but they just they don’t care, and try to do whatever they want, because it seems clear that in the past (probably with another host from Peerspace) they have already gotten away with it, without having been penalized.

We do not get to hear back whether a client is accepting, disputing, complaining or what they say about our submitted claims, unless we ask. When we have inquired to Peerspace what the clients are saying, Peerspace generally states that they dispute or that they are unresponsive, and that due to privacy policies they can not tell us the details, so we are not so very short what is going on, to be able to “counter” arguments or prove their point incorrect or provide additional evidence of the opposite.

I am not sure how the “automatic charges work” as in for how long and until when and up to how much Peerspace will or can pursue without the client’s acknowledgement or agreement that they will pay.

On our end, we just think that by Peerspace’s Terms and Conditions, Peerspace should always be able to collect (like hotels or other platforms) even if the client disagrees as long as the charges are reasonable and are justifiable. Otherwise, Peerspace will become a platform where all clients will start operating in bad faith, lying, abusing spaces as there is no action to deter, or penalize that kind of behavior.

1 Like