How Much is the Booking Fee for Guests?

Did the booking (processing) fee for guests go up to 9.5%?

2 Likes

Graham-

Thanks for the question. We recently introduced dynamic pricing for guest fees. It takes into account the subtotal price of the booking as well as other booking characteristics (generally, the higher the subtotal, the lower the fee). As before, guests will always see the exact fee amount prior to making payment.

For a bit of background, our team conducted a series of user interviews with many current and prospective guests at the end of 2018. We learned that the predictability of their Peerspace experience was of more concern than associated fees, which led us to kick off a few initiatives to raise the bar on our quality of service.

Following on from this research, we tested dynamic guest pricing on the site for several months. The test showed negligible impact to overall booking volume – increasing our confidence in investing more in the things that matter, notably: up-leveling the service we provide to our users and attracting even more high-quality business for our hosts.

As we continue to evolve this program over time, we will lean on feedback from our community to find the right balance of all of these factors.

thanks

Eric

1 Like

Ok, thanks. Higher quality guests sounds great. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Hi Eric, what will the range be in service fees? In the name of keeping things simple and clear, it has been nice to be able to tell guests simply that Peerspace will add a 5% service fee to the total. I have had that discussion with a guest who is ready to book, and as I am preparing the custom quote, the service fee is now 8%. She is booking a full day now, and will book another full day by the end of the month.

But the fee has gone up, not down. So now after working out the details, they have changed.

1 Like

Respectfully, this is a significant policy change and should have been presented to hosts in advance, along with a date the change would go into effect.

2 Likes

Brad- Thanks for your question.

The processing fee ranges from 1%-10% and the exact amount will always be detailed in the booking flow prior to the guest making payment. As a host, you’ll also see the exact amount when sending a guest a custom offer or adding overtime to a booking. I hope this provides the additional clarity you were hoping for, but please let me know how else I might help.

Fair feedback about not communicating the policy change ahead of time. We’ll do a better job in the future of previewing changes.

thanks

Eric

1 Like

I just got a very positive feedback of Peerspace from a discerning guest, just to let you know. I think that it is good that Peerspace allows both high quality guests and also more regular profiled guests access to great spaces for their projects

1 Like

Appreciate the info Eric, thanks.

0 Likes

This is an interesting note from Eric who states that the fee ranges from 1% - 10% but I just got a booking request and the indicated fee was 15%? What is the fee and what does it cover if it is 15%?
Thanks,

0 Likes

Alexandra_L- That doesn’t sound like the guest fee to me. We are not charging 15% to guests. If you happen to have a screen capture of what you saw that would be helpful. thanks!

Eric

0 Likes

hi Eric,

I was confused by guest fees and host fees. no problem.

0 Likes

No worries. I’m glad you asked rather than wonder !

Eric

0 Likes

Hi Eric,
When I refer my personal clients to Peerspace I have been telling them what our hourly rate is and that there is an additional booking fee from Peerspace for 5%. Can you give us the price tiers so I can give them accurate information? I don’t want to tell them it’s 5% and then have them be surprised by a higher fee.
Thanks!
Angela

0 Likes

Eric, I often have to explain to my guests, who are bottom line oriented, that the final price will include a Peerspace guest charge that the host does not control, and they at times will imply that we should discount our rate to cover that. It’s then that I have to reveal to them that Peerspace charges the host even more than the guest, and they usually understand, so Peerspace does remove some of the friction from the process but not all of it. Thanks for being so open with us.

1 Like

Hi Angela,

The processing fee now ranges from 1%-10% as @Eric stated in an earlier comment. It is calculated based on multiple factors, including the subtotal price of the booking and other booking characteristics. Generally, the higher the subtotal, the lower the fee. Guests always see the exact amount of the fee during the booking process.

If you ever want us to give you a proper quote of exactly what the guest will be paying for a booking that they’ve come to you directly for feel free to reach out to our Customer Experience team and we can give you an estimate.

Warmly,
Lawrence

1 Like

Thanks Lawrence, I’ll touch base with you later.

1 Like

Hi Lawrence- great to know we can get a quote. I had this issue just the other day and the guest fee (from Peerspace) was a moving target, per the client and I was not able to explain.

Exactly to which email should we write for a quote? And what other info do you need… the booking inquiry name and date?

Thanks so much!

0 Likes

Hi Peggy,

Great question. You can shoot us an email at help@peersapce.com or call 415-403-2421 from 9am-6pm PST. We just need to know the following info when you reach out:

• The name of the guest
  • Booking date(s)
  • Hours that the guest is booking

We can check the expected charge for that potential booking with this info. The guest will also always see the break down as well on the site when they go to book.

The only time it might be tricky for hosts or guests is when there is a custom booking but we can help with that as well usually if you tell us the amount you want to net from the booking, we can give a proper quote you can let the client know that would need to be charge in order to meet your minimum.

Warmly,

0 Likes