Can I ad a "Time " Buffer between bookings

I had a recent booking that went over, usually this is not a problem except this time I had someone booked right after. I was able to push the second booking back an hour- but the first people were still not finished. Is there a way in Peerspace to automatically ad a time buffer of 1/2 or an hour between bookings to allow for this type of situation also for cleaning. This is why I will never do Instant Booking.

1 Like

It just requires setting very good boundaries with guests. I pretty much gave up trying to remember to block off half hour buffers between bookings and it’s worked out pretty good so far.

When the guests arrive, confirm their end time and explain that you have another group coming in right after them and so you won’t be able to offer overtime.

Let them know right up front that you’re going to send a half hour notice and a fifteen minute notice (for me, it all depends on how many people and how much equipment I see. I’m always pretty spot on when it comes to calculating load out time).

Fair warning, I’ve had a few people act annoyed when I tell them to wrap and more than once people have tried to keep shooting and I announce “no, I am wrapping you right now”.

I sterilize my space (which takes me exactly six minutes to do in a hurry) while the group is loading out.

These are special times and people need to just work together to keep everyone safe and happy.

1 Like

@Deacon_T Well written.

I confirm with them when they get in and text them 15 mins before with a friendly reminder :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just had one the other day that would have gone well over their time if we hadn’t stepped in.

I know the time that it takes to clean my space and, as a photographer of more than two decades, I know exactly how long it takes to load out, based on the amount of gear.

I had a group here with a semi rookie photographer who just had gear everywhere. People were left plates of food on the counters, clothes everywhere, etc.

People began moving furniture around without taking reference shots, I had to stop them from sitting on an antique credenza, the photographer shoved a $300+ coffee table out of the way with his foot, just real rookie shooter stuff.

So I give guests a heads up well in advance, advising them to have someone start picking up the main area when they switched rooms. Totally ignored.

I came out 2 or 3 times to let them know to start their wrap and they kept shooting, so I called in my fiancee because I needed her help to clean in order to get these people out in time.

We literally had to force them to wrap and start cleaning up THEIR mess, which I felt was degrading. As hosts, I find it disrespectful for people to come in my clean home, make a mess and then I have to clean up for them like a maid.

During COVID, this presents a severe health hazard as well.

We just barely got them out in time and I left her a two star review.

She actually messaged me to tell me how shocked and disappointed she was with my review and I explained my position in a very polite but firm manner.

Peerspace is REALLY good about removing unfair reviews, but the problem is that it’s not guaranteed.

I honestly want to walk out and TELL people “start cleaning now” instead of feeling like I’m begging them in the hopes that they don’t leave an ugly review later.

For this reason, the star review system sometimes creates a feeling of frustration, as I feel that my authority as a homeowner is vastly reduced.

I have to get people out on time and I have to get firm often, but sooner or later that’s going to backfire on me.

I had a similar very stressful situation like this happen to me. It was an amateur rap video shoot (never again!). They knew i had a baby shower an hour after their booking ended. I told them to stop filming and they ignored me and kept filming. I told them multiple times. They were still packing up stuff in the backyard (an hour after their booking ended!) when my next booking arrived, and they left fake money in the pool that my boyfriend had jump in a fish out while booking #2 was setting up.

I highly recommend scheduling your own buffer after each booking (Mark your calendar unavailable for the buffer time you want) or at least respond to any booking request explaining that you need time between bookings and can they come an hour later?

Also I set a high minimum for hours booked, so that I don’t have to deal with multiple bookings in a day. Good luck!

If anyone ever refuses to leave for any reason, call the cops.

I had a successful rap shoot around a year ago; everyone was incredibly cool and they left on time.

But around a half hour after everyone left, a voice in my head screamed at me to look on the patio while I was cooking dinner for my family (fiancee, 3 year old son,15 year old goddaughter and her 15 year old female friend). I had never experienced anything like that, but I went onto the patio and there was a body laying motionless on a concrete bench.

I say “sir?” nothing.

Another four times, nothing. I see some cigarette butts and beer cans, which PISSES ME OFF, because this butthead was the only one drinking and smoking.

I grab a long metal boom arm to nudge him with, because I GENUINELY thought he was dead, but didn’t want to leave him in case he wasn’t.

I scream ‘SIR!’ and he finally stirs.

So I tell him he needs to ‘get the f out of my home’ with his high self.

Dude is CLEARLY out of his mind on drugs; he’s mumbling and acting weird.

I repeat my command to leave and he’s like “f you, I’m not going anywhere”.

Thinking of the children I have in my home, I’m like “oh yes you are”.

He sits up and and says “what are you going to do about it?”

He starts to stand up to presumably me and I crack the metal boom arm on the concrete bench and I will not repeat the words that I said to him after that, but I was still screaming at him as he did a walk of shame out of my house.

In another instance, a fitness center called Box N Burn rented our space for what should have been a ‘calm office party’, but they tried to get the party a little too turnt towards the end.

We were in the bedroom at the time and I can control the volume of the music through my phone. One of the guys just barges in and demands we turn up the music. I counter with telling him that it was time to clean up, as his booking was over soon.

My fiancee and I follow him out to talk to the person who made the booking and begin making fun of us.

During this, a woman and my fiancee accidentally collide (no big deal) and apologize to each other.

A guest (a semi-professional boxer, or maybe a retired boxer) said that maybe he needed to do a “POW POW POW” on my fiancee, while smacking his fist into the palm of his hand for emphasis that he meant he was going to punch her.

Maria turns around and screams “DO SOMETHING THEN!” and the guy shrinks back. I call the police and we start ushering them out, taser in one hand and pepper spray in the other.

I’ve turned the lights out on people via Alexa, I’ve had to summon the police and the point of all this is that while these instances are EXCEEDINGLY rare, they do happen.

If you ever need help getting people out of your home and I am not busy, do reach out. I am friends with several licensed guards and I’m not afraid to intervene to prevent conflict. Hosting can be extremely dangerous and sometimes it takes a little help to remind guests to abide by the rules.

I use Emma.ai to automatically add 30 minutes buffer time between sessions. It easily integrates with your calendar (I personally sync everything with google) and adds small “buffer time” events before and/or after every new entry for that calendar. You can control exactly how much time before and after you need to add for buffer and within seconds after confirming a booking it blocks off the extra time without fail. Have been using it since July and there have been zero issues with double bookings or back to back sessions. Now I always have an hour to properly reset and sanitize the space. Honestly one of my favorite things about my automated work flow and I can’t recommend enough to other hosts. I think I pay about $$10-15/mo for the service.

1 Like

Hi @Tito_R, currently there is no way to automatically add a buffer in your Peerspace calendar. What you can do is block time manually after you receive a booking. Just head to your calendar and click “block time” to create your buffer.

I also like the suggestion from @Garrett_C . Just make sure that you sync your google calendar to Peerspace so that the Peerspace calendar reflects changes you make in your google calendar. You can sync your calendar by clicking “sync settings” on your calendar page.

1 Like

It is not such a big deal for Peerspace to put a buffer into the booking form. A host can select whatever buffer they want. I use other platforms that do that for appointment style bookings. I think that the stress of people trying to book immediately after an event is not necessary. If a guest wants to extend their booking everyone wins! If a guest goes slightly over time it’s not a big deal if you don’t have another booking right after. I had my first back to back events - well they were two hours apart - and the first guest hadn’t even cut the birthday cake when I came back to give them their 10 minute notice!! If I didn’t have another event right after I would have just charged them additional time. As it turns out I had to call in a friend to help clean it all. I just had to get them out so we could clean the big mess they made. It was a big stress and the guest was ‘booted out’ in my mind. Which isn’t a good thing.
C’mon peerspace… build the buffer time into the bookings!!
Please and thank you!!
Audrey

1 Like

Yes, we had the same problem. Since we are also a SAG Production company we have to follow strict COVID19 rules so I always tell guest that we have to clean the studio right at their completion time for the next session, which in fact we do. They now always understand that they must finish on time. Also, installing a nice big digital clock in clear view helps:)