Service Animals?

So this is a first … I had a crew member show up with an “emotional support animal.” They did not let me know in advance one would be coming. The shoot is already in progress. My rules state “no pets.”

Are we required to permit them in this usage?

Thoughts? What would you do at this point?

1 Like

I kick them out. Most ‘service animals’ in Los Angeles are fake and exist solely to skirt around rules.

I rent my home rather than a commercial location and so I don’t have to abide by most ada policies. I have severe allergies and lots of fragile items, so I don’t want any animals here.

I love dogs, but some of them stink and there’s that chance that you might have to clean up poop afterwards.

If your listing has a ‘no animals’ policy, then I would record the incident, kick them out and send a heads up to help@peerspace.com.

I personally think it’s incredibly disrespectful for people to bring animals into a peerspace location!

3 Likes

Emotional support animals are different than service animals. A dog, whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support, does not qualify as a service animal under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Hotels and Air BnBs are not required to allow them. I wouldn’t.

Also… for the record, you’re not allowed to ask for documentation for service animals. You can ask what tasks has the dog been trained to perform, but you cannot inquire about the persons disabilities related to that task. If the response is something like “the dog keeps me calm”, that is not acceptable and you can deny entry. The animal has to do something like help the person walk or pick things up for them, etc.

1 Like

A service animal is not a pet.

It is truly unfortunate that people try to pass off their pets as service animals when they aren’t. I am part of the disability community and know a lot of people who don’t have obvious physical disabilities but still need service animals–for instance, people with epilepsy whose dogs can sense when a seizure is coming and help their person to safety. The disabled person who genuinely needs their service animal can end up getting hassled because of people without disabilities trying to take advantage of the rules.

I used to have a dog (a pet) and people would always assume that it was a service dog, because I’m a wheelchair user. I used to say, “I’m the service animal in this relationship.” (She went to the big dog park in the sky years ago, and I still miss her.)

3 Likes

As an earlier host commented, an emotional support animal is not a service animal.

1 Like

In my listing I State “animals are not allowed unless prior approval is granted”. If stated as “pet”, people will try to bend the rules and say their dumb unruly dog is a “service animal” and try to say you are discriminating.

2 Likes

Everyone’s response is EXTREMELY wonderful and I agree with @Sharon_R about refusing ALL animals and not just ‘pets’.

Last year, a magazine brought in a surprise ‘service animal’ that allegedly helped detect seizures.

I knew it was a fake service animal, as it was extremely friendly and behaved nothing at all like any of the service animals I’ve worked with (I have a prior medical background).

I let them shoot and I wasn’t watching as closely as I normally would have.

For the next month after their shoot, my fiancee’s son and I were constantly sneezing and I was getting bitten by some sort of bugs at night (to this day, my legs have dozens of little scars below the knees)

Turns out, they had their nasty dog all over my $800+ daybed (daybed frame = $549, the mattress was $200 and the cover was $79) and sofas and even my bed.

We ended up with a flea INFESTATION from this one dog and almost had to throw everything away. We spent days cleaning every square inch and then ended up moving anyways.

The images are cute: https://online.pubhtml5.com/cqlx/vjdu/ (page 16 shows the dog on our bed and the girls throwing food), but between the allergies, the bug bites and the food we found everywhere (yes, they actually threw FOOD in our home), it wasn’t worth it.

It taught me a lesson about not only having cameras, but watching your guests and not allowing animals of any sort into my space.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

This shoot has gone awry (multiple rule violations, including crew masklessness indoors - not talent on camera) and they’ve been asked to leave. Of course they are not handling it well. :frowning:

1 Like

stick to your guns and if you need help getting them out, let me know. Document everything!

1 Like

Thank you, @Deacon_T. We’ve been documenting everything … even the giant loogie they left on the shower curtain. At least they left. What is wrong with people?

Any ideas of what I can expect from Peerspace? I’ve already emailed them a detailed account with photos/videos.

1 Like

People are extremely entitled in Los Angeles. I don’t mean to slam the city I live in, but this is the one city I’ve ever lived in that seems to operate purely on feelings and volatile emotions than by business, logic or common sense. People’s feelings are so easily hurt here that I treat many people the same as I would my three year old.

After a REALLY REALLY positive start with a couple of stinkers in the last week or so, I’ve reached the point where I have to accept that I’m going to start getting bad reviews on Peerspace, because I need to be more firm.

When I first launched my new space, I would literally tell people who were lingering about “hey look, I don’t mean to be shoving you out the door, but it’s time to go”

It went over REALLY well, but I let all of those five star reviews go to my head and I’ve gotten slower to confront people. I catch folks standing on my furniture or making big messes in my clean home and it leaves me so frustrated that I can’t get any other work done.

So what I’ve begun doing is to warn people in my copy/paste ‘welcome’ message that I give everyone when they book that I’ve had a big problem with people standing on my coffee tables and getting rough with my furniture and if it happens again, I will end their booking immediately with no refunds given.

I’ve also had to begin raising my rates and exploring other business opportunities, as I can’t get any work done when I have to keep my eyes glued to the security cameras and babysit guests. I had really hoped that folks could just observe common sense when in my home while I’m in the next room, but alas…

3 Likes

Speaking of cameras and renters- I remember one time ( when I did Airbnb)- was supposed to be renter and a guest. Well, once the initial two went inside , they summoned the others out of the tiny car, they kept on piling out, it was “comical”. There were 7 people for one bedroom! Obviously the extras had to leave.

For my listing- I list all the things you can’t do as people will try to get away with it. ( no firearms, drugs, criminal activity). Not everyone who is renting for a production is professional

2 Likes