How do you handle minimal damage to your home or space?

Hey there,

so I have been pretty fortunate and obviously letting people in your home brings wear and tear, but when is it enough to say something?

For instance my coffee table has a huge deep scratch, but I’m unsure if thats just the price I pay for hosting or something i should address. I don’t want to be too nit picky but RH tables aren’t cheap! lol

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!!

That is something that should be pointed out, IMO. That’s not normal “wear and tear,” that’s damage. The problem with some damages, is that while minor, they’re too expensive to fix to be practical. For example, I once got some pulls in the fabric of a couch. While it couldn’t be repaired, I couldn’t expect the renters to pay to reupholster a couch. But once, I had a knob ripped off a closet door with damage to the wood and it needed a carpenter to repair, so I got the bill and passed it on. Fact of the matter is, ideally, your home should be left exactly the way they found it.

@Jaime_S I agree, this is a tough one, where to draw that line. Some wear and tear is expected. I am a little OCD, so it’s frustrating when you notice every little scratch and scuff.

• One thought is to keep thinking ahead to anything that could happen, and come up with an appropriate charge. If it is documented in advance, it should be easier to collect. Could also get guests to be more careful.
  • My space has a loft feel, with concrete floors. Since it is concrete, people don’t think they have to worry about it. But we keep a nice finish on it, and that gets damaged when productions put tape on the floor, or anybody drags cases and furniture around.
  • One guest kept talking about what a great deal they got on the rental furnishings. When they packed out, the entire floor finish was scratched up because none of the furniture had rubber feet or any kind of protection. I did not charge them, but it certainly would have been warranted.
  • Naturally we worry about a negative review if we charge for damage, so we don’t want it to feel petty. The more you can communicate in advance (even though “don’t damage our stuff” seems obvious), and only charge when it is clear that it happened during their event. Feels like we need to photograph everything before each event.
  • If you are present when your guest arrives, perhaps a very detailed walkthrough pointing out that everything is in new condition, even pointing out any previous damage. Then a detailed walkthrough at the end. I tend to glance around and say “everything looks great”, only to find issues later, although typically minor.
  • The only time I have charged for damage is my first rental, which I found out the next day that there had been extensive underage drinking, the inside of my studio was a wreck, and there was all kinds of trash in the alleys around my space. I charged them through Peerspace for the cleanup and they did not fight the charges.

I think this is a grey area with variables on both sides. When prepping for an event space the initial question is: has my space been created durable, semi-durable, or is it a home that has breakable items. Our space is on the commercial end, and though we have lots of art, the finishing touches were designed to be used. Counters that don’t scratch, tables that either don’t scratch or are built to show the wear and not look terrible.

I say this to emphasize that simply charging for damage is not always the answer, and if you plan to continue the business should not be a focus or the initial go to. Each guest is a learning experience and should be treated as such, and if you can get that down you will find the renting becomes much less stressful.