Hosts who list homes/apartments on Peerspace - do you accept parties?

How have they gone so far?

I don’t accept parties. I want to keep good relationships with my neighbors, and it seems that parties have the potential to strain those relationships. I would say that if you do want to host parties, you be very clear about the ground rules with your guests–in terms of parking, noise, and departure.

1 Like

We have accepted parties in our loft. They’ve been fine overall with one outlier which was awful (broken window and damaged furniture :disappointed_relieved: ). Folks are generally respectful of the space and since it’s a commercial building, our neighbors are out of the building after 5 pm. We do not permit parties after midnight and if alcohol is being served, we require (and check) that someone 21+ is present.

We used to do parties when we first started renting (it helps to get your traction going) but found that many parties create problems in two ways. First, they are often late and can be loud (or at least louder than say, a video shoot or an off-site meeting). We are in West Hollywood and when the bars began staying open later, people wanted later parties, which can be a problem. Secondly, unlike film crews and professionals, party-goers are OFF THE CLOCK, which means that respect and responsibility for your belongings is, shall we say, the last thing most people think about! As such, we skip most party bookings except those that are small, adult and end at or before 10pm. Small weddings are fine as are wine tastings and the like, but big birthday blowouts? Forget it!

Ha… this has been the biggest point of contention between my fiance and I in regards to our Peerspace hustle. I am generally a very responsible person, even when I party. I’m also very trusting which is a bad combination in this particular instance because I assume that guests’ nicely crafted messages is a direct correlation to how they and their friends behave when they drink. My fiance is much more realistic but he agreed to accept the first few requests for parties since we both agreed it’d be a good learning experience.
Well, I hate to stereotype and judge people based on their age but the parties we threw for people 25 and under had their fair share of issues, including blatant disrespect of our rules (going upstairs to our loft/sleeping area and having sex in our bed) to breaking a plate and trying to conceal the evidence. Also I didn’t notice until way later but someone stole lip gloss (!!!) out of our bathroom. Anyways you get the idea - we are much more discerning with party requests now and I have been forced to be a grinch when I see those inquiries come through. We also raised the party rate up +50% so that has deterred a lot of those requests. This also tends to weed out younger people…

My takeaways:
-No ragers. If people ask how loud they can play the music, enter in a guest count above our max capacity, or request an end time of 2am, it is absolutely not worth the stress for me, even if they pay for damages afterwards
-Turn up my BS-meter and absolutely do not allow anyone under the age of 21 (or even 25) to book. I’ve gotten a request from a parent to host their kids’ high school senior class party and INSISTED that there would be no alcohol…right
-Hike the rates way up to weed out younger people and pay for the cleaning fees after. I think it’s working. We hosted our first ‘pre-party’ last weekend (8pm-12am) at the increased rate and the guests left our place in great shape.

How do you guys handle parties that are serving alcohol? What is the liability to the host if someone has a minor at a party you allowed, but they indicated they would not have minors. I am very concerned about this “minors drinking” in my space issue…

I would never allow a party. My neighbors would have fit and my house would never forgive me. I have a very picky and old house that needs to be treated well and in the daylight.

1 Like

YES! I love hosting parties.

I am VERY transparent about my space in the description. I explain that there’s ample room outside, limited room inside, and only 1 bathroom. The more upfront you are the better so they aren’t blindsided.

The main use of my house is bridal or baby showers, graduation parties, followed by birthday parties. I list all those types of parties in the description to help people find it.

And I combat the rager issue by putting my booking cutoff at 10pm. Some will request to stay later, and I usually agree, but they’re always respectful about it.

The only issues I’ve ever had are the occasional spill or overflowing trash can.

I’ve found most people will be VERY respectful because they want a good review as well.

We’re in a residential area, so we dont host parties. If you can accommodate them, I’d just make sure your prior conversations are very clear so the group knows the rules!

Be careful here if it’s a residence.

I have a loft-style commercial space, but I do have residential neighbors directly behind my studio across the alley. A top priority is not disturbing neighbors, followed by not incurring any damage to your space or property. One of the biggest challenges is analyzing inquiries and assessing what they really plan to do in the space.

• As @Allison_Y said, do they want to rage? which means very loud music and very drunk guests. Not worth it.
  • Definitely have higher rates for weekend parties, helps to weed out the troublemakers.
  • Minors: my very first Peerspace rental was to parents hosting a party for their daughter (16). I met everyone, seemed great, and they had a party on a Friday night. Long story, but short version is that I found out the next day that there were 100 teenagers drinking beer and vodka in the alley behind my studio, walking over to the gas station with alcohol, police called, pissed off neighbors. I felt like a prize idiot.
  • For some time I had a “no teens” policy. Then I went with my gut, and have had 3 or 4 very chill teenage parties, hosted responsibly by adults. @Robert_L asked about liability. Theoretically the person who serves the alcohol is responsible for any guests who drink. You could insist that they purchase additional insurance, eventhelper.com seems good. Fee is usually $104 to your guest and policy includes Host Liquor Liability, and you can stress that they need this for their own protection.
  • Don’t always feel safe because you get to review your guests. A few renters are going to create an account, trash a venue, and disappear, close their account. They don’t care. And if they don’t review your venue, your review of them will not show up (perhaps this is something Peerspace should review).
  • Something happens at midnight: guests cross a line and everyone gets drunk and it’s a pain staying up to get everyone out and lock up. We have settled on telling guests they will need to start winding down at 11pm, with everyone out by midnight.

Stay safe everyone!

2 Likes

I used to host parties, but don’t anymore. Much like other people have said, there are too many issues that can arise - especially late night. But, the number one concern I have is annoying my neighbors. I can’t be of a nuisance to other people who live close by and you can never guarantee that renters will always be respectful of the rules.

If you do host parties, I would definitely recommend substantially raising your hourly rate to discourage younger people from booking and to help cover additional costs such as clean up.

I prefer to host baby showers and engagement parties. I do not host birthday parties as there are too many associated issues that can arise - especially late night.

You’d better have a bulletproof contract and collect a security deposit. Noise and cars will be the problem with neighbors. Use your own sound system per contract. Get ready for some broken windows. Reject parties with too many people, or anyone under 30. Gotta respect the neighbors unless you want police showing up to tone things down.

1 Like