Has anyone had guests bring dogs to a booking without clearing it with the host?

Hi all,

I had 2 guests show up for an off-site meeting in my space yesterday with 2 large dogs. Not service animals. How have the rest of you handled that? I feel like I need to add that to my list of rules now. Just seems disrespectful to assume you can bring your dogs to an office building without checking first. Thoughts?

1 Like

Yup and I’ve had to add it to my list of rules as well after someone brought a dog and said pooch defecated on my polished floors haha.

I am pretty allergic to every fur bearing animal (I have two cats and a menagerie of nasal sprays and allergy pills I have to take) and dogs not only set off my allergies, they can leave behind a scent for a day or so afterwards.

I think my rules say something like “no non-human animals allowed without prior permission”. I added the ‘non human’ part in case some wiseguy says “well aren’t humans animals too?”

1 Like

So NOT cool…I would have stop them at the door but you still need to close the deal. I would for sure say no pets allowed during the booking unless you have proof its a service animal. I would also put this in my listing in big bold letters. Hope this helps

1 Like

Hi @Kirsten_M,

Every studio is different. In my downtown warehouse I allow animals as long as they clean them up before they leave and I do a final walkthrough to make sure all is good.

In your rules you should let them know to notify you if they are planning on bring dogs.

1 Like

Even if it’s a service animal, do you have to allow them since it’s private property?

1 Like

if you’re renting your home and the reason is because of allergies, then I believe that you do not have to allow a service animal. I might be wrong on this, but somehow this rings true (as if I’ve read it somewhere).

The issue with ‘service animals’ is that in California, most service animals are fakes. They’re ‘emotional support’ animals and while emotional support is totally a valid reason for needing a pet, the problem is that they may not be properly trained to not poop on your floor or tear up your furniture.

1 Like

California law requires most public places to admit service dogs and psychiatric service dogs but not emotional support animals. California law allows persons with disabilities to bring trained service dogs and psychiatric service dogs, but not emotional support animals, to all public places.
-Google

Businesses are only allowed to ask two questions: Whether the owner is disabled, and what tasks the dog is trained to perform.
-ABC10

Only dogs are currently allowed to be considered service animals at this time. No cats, ferrets, birds, rabbits, pigs or any other animal qualifies.
-USserviceanimals.org

In our experience, a trained service dog will always be very obvious as will the owners’ disability. They are almost always accompanied by the seeing or hearing impaired and they behave very differently than regular ‘pets’.

Private residences may very well qualify as public places and/or businesses when put up for rent in the manner Peerspace presents, a point which would be fairly easy to argue in a court of law, so be careful when denying entry.

We find it best to err on the side of caution. We allow proper service animals and deny all others…the three separate times we have allowed a pet dog inside all three have immediately pooped on the carpet. We do not allow animals unless they are booked for a qualified video or photo shoot, and we charge an additional cleaning deposit for those.

And beware of fakers…always ask the 2 questions, if they don’t have good answers, or say things like “my dog is trained to love me” gently but firmly remind them that it is illegal to fake a service animal, punishable by a $1000 fine and 6-months in jail if it turns out their animal is not certified properly.