Disputes and damages - lets discuss

I would like to start a discussion about disputes and damages process. I really feel that I rather have a security deposit and draw damages from it than send numerous emails to peerspace with proofs and videos and receipts and lengthy explanation of why I need to charge the guests extra. It happens when guests break the rules, use spaces outside the booked space, have significantly larger party than allowed or booked, damage the furniture or the space, etc. Peerspace balances between guests and hosts trying to keep everyone happy, which makes it not a neutral party to judge. I do need someone to stand for my interests. And if peerspace is not there protecting me as a host, than I must have resources to protect myself. I feel that I don’t have any tools or resources now other than police each booking, write long and strict rules and confirm and reconfirm with guests annoying them. Potentially a security deposit could be one of the solutions. Peerspace advice is - always be there, don’t let extra people in, don’t let people to use more space than booked. It is not always possible with off-hours bookings or when guests understandably require privacy. I am really frustrated with the dispute process when the burden of proof is only on hosts who ultimately have little say. It takes a lot of my time and is just infuriating when you know that the guest took advantage and you are powerless to do anything about it. disputes happen rarely but are painful enough to just want to stop being a host all together. Sorry for venting. Would love some feedback! Please share your experiences and thoughts on the matter and may be together we can come up with something better for all parties.

I have found that two things help ameliorate these situations. a) Take pictures. I had a bachelor party that broke a chair. With the pics I was able to get paid for the damage promptly. And also b) Be sure to report them to Peerspace within the first 48 hours. I missed the cutoff by 3 minutes once and had to call and write Peerspace to still go after it. They did and we got the extra money (this one was for overtime) but that 48 hour thing is key. The computer cuts off your complaint right to the minute and many are late at night when the 48 hours FROM THE END of the booking occurs. While not perfect, hopefully those two things can help you get paid on some of your future overages.

Hi there, I totally agree with you! I have the same experience with claiming damages, we the hosts should have the option to collect the security deposit on the platform and release it back after the event, when ppl know they have money on the line they behive better. A lot of times peer space want you to provide invoices before you got payed for the damage, which makes no sense, we should get the money first to pay for the damage not the other way around.

Agree 100% with you. For the most part our guests are great. But, we have had several who have caused significant damage to the space. When that happens the burden is completely on the host to try to recoup damages through Peerspace and the opportunity costs as well as damages have often greatly exceeded whatever is eventually recouped.

Damages are very frustrating with peerspace. I’ve hosted many people that don’t damage the space. However, I had a guest who shot a video and broke the rules with more people in more equipment than allowed. They damaged the carpet and made a huge hole in the wall and tried to dispute how big the damage was. I took pictures and videos and tried to resolve it with the guests but they were offering me one tenth of what the contractor had quoted me to repair the damages. all peerspace offered to do was to send the matter to arbitration and forced me to settle with the guests for a much lower amount, because I could not host until the damage was fixed.

Terrible experience. I think a deposit would have helped a lot.

Dear Peerspace,

We have the same issue. When clients book us for events or productions (privately or via other platforms), and we hold security damage deposit ourselves or via the platforms, the space tends to be left in excellent condition because they want to get their money back.

Via Peerspace, there is no deposit Peerspace holds and even with pictures of proof of damage, Peerspace makes is very difficult for hosts to collect with invoice requirements and long explanations we have to make that are really time consuming. Sometimes damages may look minor in pictures but are very time consuming to fix and create a lot of downtime, which is another loss of income for us (like we have experienced: feathers or glitters or paint stains).

Would it be possible for Peerspace to implement security damage deposits that WE (hosts) release if there are no damages? Hosts should always show proof, like pictures, but I think that should be sufficient, so if we can eliminate the long back and forth with Peerspace staff, and clients, that would be great, as it seems it is our job to convince Peerspace about our right to collect damages. We shouldn’t be required the burden of proof, but just proof.

We do get a lot of clients that DO what is CLEARLY PROHIBITED in the rules and are just abusing the system, because they have booked in Peerspace before and have gotten away with it in the past. For us, it is unrealistic to “kick out” the clients when they are doing something prohibited in the space, because they are in the middle of a production or in a middle of an event. And if we were to kick them out, we would require to call security personnel and it would be a fiasco story (for which we would need to charge the client and we would have another long dispute trying to collect for those charges) so as courtesy, we ask them to stop and then we deal with the consequences (like illegal smoking, more guests than originally quoted, or super loud music and then all neighbors complaining). As long as we can penalize the clients for abusing the rules or we can easily charge for the damage, it would encourage clients to respect the space and be upfront with what they are planning, as they would know they will be held responsible for it.

I believe in the past, Peerspace allowed hosts to collect damage deposit. We have tried, and realized it didn’t work out. Clients would be scared that we are charging damage deposit outside the platform, and hence would not book with us, and would look for another host who supposedly “follow the Peerspace rules” hence why the damage deposit HAS to be collected by Peerspace. I think charging damage deposit is our main insurance that the clients will not destroy the space, our furniture, or take our props.

Or if you have any other solutions, we are more than happy to hear them out.

Sincerely,

Ana

We’ve hosted over 500 events booked via Peerspace without getting a deposit because we trusted that, if we provided proper documentation, Peerspace would settle damages, rule violations, and extra time charges in our favor. Our experience with getting reimbursed for damages and charging overtime has been largely positive. However, we are going to start collecting a Security Deposit to cover rule violators.

For example: we just had a guest smoke on our roof deck (in front of multiple no smoking signs and having it clearly started in our rules, welcome email, etc). There were no explicit damages but my staff had to wipe ash off cushions, pick butts out of our plants, and also examine the astroturf to see if it had been damaged by a someone stomping out a cigarette on it.

I am coming up on my fifth year of Hosting through Peerspace and one thing to remember is WE Hosts are the CONSTANT here. Guests will come and go over time. Most will only book once. Some will not care if they get bad reviews as they can always just not leave us feedback (and therefore their bad review will NEVER go public). Others can just open new accounts, change name spellings, email addresses, credit card numbers, not use a company name, or simply just go with a PS competitor the next time.

Therefore, Hosts need to start realizing that WE are the real money making mechanism on this platform. Peerspace is our AGENT and we expect them to start providing us (the real clients) with better tools, support and protection.

Did Peerspace ever respond to this thread? We as hosts are hostage to bad guest reviews and disputing charges with guests is always a balancing act. I agree that being asked to show invoices for repairs within 48 hours of the event taking place is ridiculous when we are still trying to recover damages from the guest.

Hey @Mark_H, the policy is actually for reporting the damage within 72 hours. Not to have your invoice. https://support.peerspace.com/hc/en-us/articles/201549256-What-do-I-do-if-a-booking-results-in-damages-or-missed-expectations-

Thanks, Lawrence, for alerting us to this revision to the original wording for Damage Submissions. I am glad to see that PS changed this. The original wording definitely instructed us to provide “receipts” for repairs which is impossible for us to accomplish in such a short time window. So this is an improvement.

It might be appreciated if Peerspace was to ALERT The Community when they make changes to even the smallest of policy items as we are unlikely to go back and reread policies again unless the community has been notified that there has been a change.

Hey @Vic_F, not a problem. We are definitely making changes to how we communicate updates to hosts to ensure that they are prepared and that there are no surprises. I really like this new format of the forums and being able to communicate more in a casual setting directly to hosts.